Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sometimes I Surprise Myself...

All I can say is "WOW!!" I've never considered myself to be a "sell yourself short" kind of gal, but today I proved myself wrong. This morning after dropping the kids off for Seminary and getting a few things done, I decided to tackle a run by myself. Kira has started working now during the day and has to leave at 7 a.m. which makes our morning runs impossible. We ran a few times at night, which is very foreign for me since I am a morning workout person, but with all of us getting sick at different times and lasting longer than some, our nights have been crazy, to say the least. So after not running for 6 days, I donned my workout clothes, and trecked it outside. I had originally decided to just try a 1 mile run, since this was going to be my first time without Kira. I started running up Whipple (the hardest part for me) and thought, "This isn't so bad, and not hurting at all" so kept going. I ended up running the whole 2 miles without stopping! I couldn't believe it... All this time I've been weiny-ing out and telling myself that I would "never get there", meaning that I would never get to that point of running on auto-pilot someday. Well, here's a HUGE high five from me to me. What a great way to start off the day...

7 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

OH MOTHER! WE all know you can do it. You are the only one who doesn't believe in yourself as a runner. Keep going, get that iPod on and get going and soon you'll be running 2 miles so easily with no pain at all, then you'll be running 3 and so on. You're going to BE a runner. I know it!!

Connie said...

Haha, ditto Lexie. We all know you can totally do it, and now it's nice to know that YOU know it too!

Camie said...

Great job Vicki! Unlike you I know for a fact that I'm not a distance runner. I seriously have a mental block when it comes to running long distance. At least when I'm running outdoors that is. When I'm outside I tell myself that I'll run to a certain point, let's say a tree. Once I hit that point my body decides to shut down for awhile. Now, if I'm inside on a treadmill watching TV or a movie, than I can usually go for a few miles without thinking about it. Of course, this was when I was in shape :) Anyway-it's a great feeling to know you've been able to overcome your own mental blocks! CONGRATS!!!!

Vicki said...

Camie, I thought for a fact that I was not a runner AT ALL, long distance or any distance, for that matter. I can honestly say now that the blocks are 100% mental. If you can go miles on a treadmill, then you can go the same amount of miles outside. You crazy girl, I can't believe I'M telling you this...
Thanks for the kudos!

Karena said...

That's awesome. This gives hope to those of us who have said that they can't do long distance running. We just need to set up our minds to do it. "There can be miracles, when you believe..."

Michaela said...

GREAT JOB MOM!!! You can do it. :)

Kira said...

was that a "prince of Egypt" song quote?! Let's not go crazy now. But yes, I have to say I am so proud of mommy for carrying on without me til I get over being sick....I did warn her that once I'm better I'm going back to Hitler mode with her