Sunday, October 26, 2008

High School Tag
Okay, here goes.
1. Did you date someone from your school? Yes. The first one was a waste, Adrian - and the second one....let's just say that we named our dog after him!
2. What kind of car did you drive? The family car when mom didn't have anything to do that day. Scott ALWAYS thought he was entitled to drive, even though he was younger than me. I don't get it....
3. Were you a party animal? Not at all, although I was loud and obnoxious around my friends.
4. Were you considered a flirt? No. But there were some pretty cute surfers that I thought were cute, but definitely out of my league.
5. Were you in band, orchestra or choir? I sang in girls glee my freshman year (required) sang in concert choir for the next 3 years, and in ChamberSingers for my junior and senior years. I played the piano for all, even the school plays, which meant that I could never be in the plays. I wasn't in band, but my best friend, Avis Cabacungan, was and played the drums, so almost every day I would go in there and watch them. I'm not sure what class I had for that period, but obviously, I must have been ditching!
6. What was your most embarrassing moment in high school? Probably the one that sticks out the most was my freshman year. I was in Physical Science (I hate the metric system) and I must have been real tired because I ended up laying my head down on the science table and falling asleep. When I woke up, everyone had left the class and people were walking to their next class outside. My teacher was very nice and didn't make fun of me.
7. Were you a nerd? Are you kidding?! I didn't know enough about math to be a nerd.
8. Were you on varsity teams? No. But I was on the drill team my freshman year. I would have tried out for cheerleader (I cheered in junior high), but my boyfriend, at the time, thought that cheerleaders were dumb. He's the one we named Kit after!
9. Did you ever get suspended/expelled? No. I probably didn't dare because I'm sure I didn't know what the consequences would have been. I was pretty naive.
10. Can you still sing the fight song? I'm embarrassed to say that I probably can't. But I know the BYU fight song! Does that count?!
11. Who were your favorite teachers? Probably Mr. Miller, my Biology teacher. He had a nickname for all of the Packards. I was VP (Vicki Packard) And of course, my 6'9" choir teacher, Mr. Shepard. I secretly had kind of a crush on him. I don't know why, he's not that good looking.
12. What was your school's full name? Carlsbad High School
13. School mascot? Lancers (our rivals were Pirates...which we are now. Pretty weird, huh?)
14. Did you go to the Homecoming dance and with who? No. Didn't want to. You never knew what you were getting into at those California dances!
15. If you could go back again, would you? No. The school is locked down now like a prison. Plus, about 2 years ago, I got to go see almost everyone I cared to see at a ChamberSingers reunion.
16. What do you remember most about graduation? We had it on the football field every year instead of in the gym. I don't remember if dad was still on the school board by then, but he always gave out the diplomas, which was cool for us kids. Also, the members of the church always got a big hawaiian lei because there were so many islanders in our ward. That made us feel pretty special because we were the only ones that got to wear one out of all the graduates. It was our time to shine after a year of being pretty unpopular.
17. Where did you go senior skip day? If we had one, I didn't go.
18. Were you in a club? No. I must have thought they were either dumb, or a waste of time.
19. Have you gained some weight since then? HELLO! I am 50. Although I AM the same height. I was fully grown by the time I got to high school. Actually, I wore a size 10 in high school, and I wear a size 10 now, but I know that I weigh more now.
20. Who was your prom date? We didn't have any proms when I was in high school, which I could never understand. Homecoming was the only big dance back then. I wouldn't have gone anyway.
21. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? I've already been to my 10 year, my 20 year, and went to a 30 year choir reunion.
22. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself? Try harder to get better grades, try out for cheerleading anyway, and be grateful to walk home from school. Carlsbad is so pretty! And the walk is much shorter now than it was back then....

9 comments:

Connie said...

Haha- good post, Mother. Good thing your old boyfriend had a cool name for a dog! We love Kit (the dog, not the guy)!

Lisa said...

haha loved your cheer story stupid boys! Thats sweet you were on dance. Whatever I bet you could have gotten a good date. How ya been its been a while since Ive talked to you. It was fun to read you post. love ya

Lexie & Sharrid said...

mom, how come the walk is farther now? Isn't the school right there? That's interesting that the dances would be that scary to go to back in the 70's! I could understand now why it wouldn't be a great environment but I would never think of it being that way back then...maybe because there were very little members...anyway that is SWEET Avis played the drums, I had no idea!

Angie Stewart Black said...

Vicki, you probably look as good now as you did back in the day. Do I believe the part where you said no you weren't a flirt......I don't know. From my recent findings...I would have to disagree!!

Lexie & Sharrid said...

and I'm pretty sure Grandpa handed you your diploma because I have footage of him handing one to Debbie and Lisa...too bad I don't have him handing you yours, ...?

Lexie & Sharrid said...

haha mother, you got worked you big flirt you!!

Vicki said...

I only say that the walk was longer then because it seemed SO long back then. Angie,you nut! Who said you could read this?!

Camie said...

What a great post. I alsways enjoy a good laugh! :0)
About the fight song.....I think it's mor important for you to know the BYU fight song anyway.

Sherrie said...

I enjoyed reading this post. What fun things I learned about you. I love ya!! Thanks for all your hugs. Your family is so sweet. What a blessing Kevin, your children and you are in my life and my family's life!!!!!